Damage to your truck’s vinyl bed cover can be a real pain to repair. If you’re not careful, you could end up worsening the problem, which may lead to replacing the vinyl tonneau cover. This article will show you how to repair a vinyl truck bed cover and recommend some of the best vinyl repair kits.
Table of Contents
Can Wind Rip My Tonneau Cover?
The wind can cause the truck bed cover to flap hard while driving. If this constantly happens over a long period, it’ll eventually tear. The best way to avoid this is to ensure the tarp is appropriately secured.
Use straps or bungee cords to keep it tight against the truck bed. Investing in a wind deflector is also a good idea if you live in an area with high winds.
This will help keep the wind from directly hitting the vinyl tonneau cover and causing it to flap.
What Are They Made of?
Most soft tonneau covers are made from a strong, durable material that can withstand a fair amount of abuse. However, it’s not indestructible, and sharp objects can puncture it.
How Strong Are They?
Most vinyl/leather truck bed covers are strong enough to withstand everyday wear and tear. However, they’re not designed to withstand constant abuse. If you regularly haul heavy loads or live in an area with high winds, you may want to consider a different type of tonneau cover.
Do They Keep The Weather Out?
Vinyl truck bed covers are good at keeping the weather out. However, they’re not 100% waterproof. If you live in an area with a lot of rain or snow, you may want to consider a different type of cover. This is because the seams of the vinyl cover can leak over time faster than some hardcovers.
Should I get a vinyl repair kit?
If you’re planning on repairing your vinyl truck bed cover yourself, you’ll need to get a vinyl repair kit. These kits contain everything you need to repair the cover, including a piece of replacement vinyl, adhesive, and instructions.
Steps to Repair a Tonneau Cover
To repair the damaged area of your cover, you’ll need tools like
- Razor blade
- Tape measure.
- Repair/filler material.
- A heat tool or clamp.
- Screws and wrenches in case you need to remove the cover.
- Dry cloth.
Here are three things you can do to fix your vinyl cover.
Use A Patch and Seal Tape
The patch and seal tape is ideal for repairing your vinyl covers’ cracks, holes, cuts, and tears. It doesn’t cost much and is straightforward to use.
To use a patch seal tape, buy any patch and seal tape – we recommend the Gorilla Patch & Seal Tape. Follow the steps below to use it and fix your cover.
- Locate the torn/sliced part of your cover. Make sure the cover is stretched out on your bed.
- Wipe it clean with a towel to ensure there’s no dirt.
- Cut a corresponding size of the seal tape and place it above the cut part of your cover.
- This sealing tape will fix the small tear. Ensure you buy a seal tape with the color that matches your vinyl cover.
Use a Vinyl Sheet & Glue
Another thing you can do is to purchase a vinyl sheet and glue. Before you begin, stretch out the vinyl cover.
- Locate the cut in your cover.
- Wipe it clean with a towel to ensure no dirt or rough edges.
- Measure its size and cut out the corresponding size on the repair material you’ve bought.
- Apply glue on the sheet you’ve cut out and carefully place it over the cut parts of your cover.
- You may need to apply heat or use a clamp. This depends on the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Use a Vinyl Repair Kit
Vinyl repair kits are generally used for repairing everyday items made from vinyl. You can grab a vinyl leather repair kit for a few bucks and follow the manufacturer’s directions to use it.
Vinyl truck bed covers are a great way to protect your truck’s bed from the elements. However, they can be damaged and need to be repaired from time to time. Following this article’s steps, you can quickly repair your vinyl truck bed cover and get it back in working order.